Tuesday, September 18, 2007

No Child Left Behind...Hmm....

Apparently, I need to have 60% of my students passing the SAT 10 and SBA in 2008. Last year, about 40% passed, up 7% from the year before. We've seen study growth in science for the past 2 years, and I think 7% is reasonable and achieveable. But 20% in one year!!! How is that possible. I have no control over what my students learned or didn't learn in K-7 grade. Over 70% of them enter 7th grade reading at a 2nd or 3rd grade reading level. Most of my students can't use a ruler or can't tell the difference between an inch and a centimeter on the ruler.

At Hopwood, we purchased science kits for 7th and 8th grade. As I was restocking the chemistrcy kits for 7th grade I noticed one of them was never even opened. I surveyed my students and only the one of the 3 7th grade teams represented used the kit.

For the past 2 years we've had a 50% turn over rate in the science department with teachers.

No comments: